Teacher Appreciation

This week was Teacher Appreciation week, it was difficult for me not to write a post about teachers and how they Make It Happen.  Not only do I have my own personal experiences as a student when I was younger, but now as a parent, I have the opportunity to witness how each and every day teachers have a positive impact on the lives of kids.  So, this post is about teachers, and the three things that they do on a daily basis to "Make It Happen"



Patience

If you are a parent, you know that as much as we love our kids, they can push our buttons, right?  Well, think of someone that spends 6+ hours of the day with your kid...and dozens more...at the same time!  The second you think about how challenging it might be, step back and think of what our teachers face on a day to day basis.  There is an art to teaching, to engaging a number of kids, and helping them learn.  The patience that teachers must have to push through the day, face the challenges that pop up, and continue on is something we can all admire and learn from.


Service
With any teacher, but especially with the teachers that I have had the privilege to be around in my lifetime through private schools in West Seattle, the word service comes to mind.  They are dedicated servants to the kids, families and the community.  In the private school setting that I have been involved with, teachers are specifically trained in what it means to "serve" and dedicate themselves to that line of work.  It takes a special person to humble themselves day in and day out to serve.  It can't be easy, but through their service they make the world a better place for the future.


Compassion
What I love about the teachers I have had, and the ones now teaching my kids, is they have a level of compassion that I wish I could have.  They have the ability to embrace kids, and the challenges they might be facing, inside or outside of the classroom, and help them learn.  I feel fortunate the my kids are around teachers now that if they have a concern, or a struggle, that they will be understanding and generous with their time to get them through it.  I know for sure that this will only help my kids in their journey.


I came across a tweet from @shanuacausey the other day with a quote from Warren Buffett that said "Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago."  When I think of teachers, they are planting trees today (through the education they give our kids), so that there is shade (opportunity) for someone in the future.  They are without a doubt making it happen.


What are other attributes of teachers you have had that make them special?

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment