There are a lot of ways to give, the most common request is around giving of money. Many non-profits and charities aks for it in order to keep doing the things they do. However, in this post I am going to focus on giving of Time. I read or heard one time, that Time is far more valuable of a gift to give then money. Sure, money is important, but time is something you cant get back (at least until they invent some kind of time machine) where as you can always earn more money.
So, fresh off our recent trip to Portland to cheer on the kids school (www.hopeseattle.org) at the LEST tournament at Concordia University, I thought it was only fitting to recognize a great friend that coaches the 7/8th grade Hope Basketball team. This is significant for a number of reasons. First, this isn't his day job...this is 100% volunteer. Second, he has been doing this for 10 years. Lastly, this marks his last year of coaching. I had the pleasure of working with him as an assistant for the previous 4 years, and with a number of new coaches stepping up to help, I decided to step away this year. Given my assistant role for those 4 years I know first hand how much Time it takes to take on this responsibility. From practices, to games, to tournaments, to traveling, to not being at work or with the family. It takes a TON of time. But 10 years of coaching and sacrifice as a volunteer is a long time. The great thing is that in all those years I know that he feels it is 100% worth it. Through giving his time, he was able to engage, influence and inspire 100's of kids...at an age where they can really use it.
This year was his last, and it although they didn't win any championships, I know he would say it was all worth it. We should all thank and acknowledge people like him that give of their Time to help "Make it Happen!"

0 comments:
Post a Comment