Over the last couple months I have been introduced to Social Media Club of Seattle (http://www.smcseattle.com/). At a national level, Social Media Club helps create regional chapters focused on education, sharing, standards and general "literacy" around social media. For someone new to the space, I was immediately interested in how this local chapter could help me learn more and get a better understanding of what works, what doesn't, etc. As I have got into it more, and learned about the people behind the Seattle chapter, I quickly learned about how the drive of one person, Kevin Urie, to "learn" helped 'Make It Happen.'
I'm not going to go into a lot of detail because the folks from @anotherpassion did a great job of that in a recent interview that went live on February 15th. You can click on it below for the entire story.
http://www.anotherpassion.com/2010/interview/kevin-urie-taking-social-media-offline/
What inspired me about the story was that Kevin took on this challenge as a learning oppportunity. Social Media was something that interested him, and this was a way for him to dive in..OK, maybe "cannonball" in. There are a lot of times where we evaluate what we will do, and where we spend our time based on the "return" it provides, typically financially. However, when I read this, and through my first few visits to SMCSeattle events, I can see how this is about learning and growing. It is about not only learning more for ourselves, but about sharing with others to help them be more successful.
So, I thank Kevin for having the drive to get the Seattle Chapter of SMC off the ground. Based on just my few interactions with Kevin I know he will give a lot of credit to the entire SMCSeattle crew, and rightfully so, but it was his initiative to "Make It Happen" that got it all going.
Here are a handful of links to connect with Kevin, AnotherPassion and SMCSeattle:
Kevin on twitter at http://twitter.com/kevinurie
Another Passion on twitter at http://twitter.com/anotherpassion
SMCSeattle on twitter at http://twitter.com/smcseattle


1 comments:
Thanks for the post Mike! As you said the SMC Seattle Board is the true all star and are the true ones "making it happen"!
Not to mention the amazing community that has supported and helped us get this going.
I'm just happy to be a part of it!
Post a Comment