Community

Since my transition to a new role that is all about Community, I have used the phrase "Make It Happen" in a lot of what I do, mainly because I think that encompasses what community is all about...It's about going above and beyond to help, share, and give to support a need with the knowledge that you might not get anything back right away.  Rather it is just the right thing to do.  So, when all the buzz around Seattle late last week was how there was no money for Seattle's annual July 4th Fireworks show, I was one of the first to make the statement that this was going to be a case study for community...how people come together around a need to do what they can to Make It Happen.



I guess the initial kudos needs to go to Tom Douglas and Dave Ross for stepping up on their radio show to make some of the first pledges and to get things kicked off.  With the need identified, a goal in sight, and some initial support behind it, I don't think it was a big surprise to see businesses, big and small, as well as individuals make contributions to make the show go on.  Donations started to come in quickly.  $1000 here, $5000 there, until finally the big corporations in the area Microsoft and Starbucks said they would contribute $125k each in matching funds.  Before you knew it, the core $250k was there, combined with the $250k in matching funds, and the goal was met.

There were a number of comments out there about why this was so important...seriously, they are just fireworks, right?  Well, I guess not.  In a world where things are always changing, and things come and go, this community event was one that people said, not this time.  It showed how we have depended so much, and maybe taken for granted, what the big businesses do for us (i.e. WaMu/Chase being previous sponsors).  But in the end, I think it also showed that if we care enough about something we can make anything happen. 

So, what is your next fireworks show?  Something that you simply cant just let pass by and go away...something that you are willing to get behind because it means a lot to not just you, but to all generations, and to the entire community.

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment